Wednesday, February 18, 2009

TIP #4 - Are you a snacker?

Hello, my name is Jenny, and I'm a snacker. There. I said it. I believe I can blame at least 60% of my weight gain on snacking. My husband said I would make a good smoker because I have to have that constant hand-to-the-mouth movement. Being a stay-at-home-mom, you can find me pretty often walking into the kitchen thinking, "What can I eat?" It's a real struggle.

My tip to combat this problem is this...every morning, set out all of the snacks you will allow yourself that day. An apple with peanut butter (reduced fat!), a cup of grapes, a Weight Watcher's muffin, a bag of Light Popcorn, whatever. I actually set them out on the counter. Then when I walk into the kitchen, my snacks await me, I don't have to think about it, I just pick one and go. BUT, if I run out of snacks by the end of the day, then no more snacks.

I realize this works for me, but not everyone is around the kitchen all day long. You could take your snacks with you. Are you always tempted to swing through Baskin Robbins after work? Put a snack in your car (one that you will enjoy and will help you resist the Baskin Robbins temptation). Even just visualizing what you will eat that day helps you resist the "spur of the moment" snacks that seem to invade our minds.

One last note--remember the water tip? Make yourself drink a glass of water with every snack, too!

No comments:

Post a Comment